Translate

Friday 15 March 2013

My virgin post

In the late1980s, I happened to walk into an exhibition hall where many beautiful teapots made by renowned artists from the county of Yixing in China were exhibited. These teapots attracted my immediate attention due to their delicate and good quality workmanship. As they were made by famous potters, they were quite pricey. Some costed a few hundred dollars, others were about thousands of dollars. There was one by the famous Mr Gu selling at well over 20 thousand dollars. That was a lot of money at that time (well as I mentioned earlier, in the 1980s). Just imagine buying a teapot at this price for brewing Chinese tea. Nonetheless, I bought one that costed around 800 dollars. That was the beginning of my journey into the world of teapots collecting.

After over 2 decades of searching and collecting (or rather buying), I now have quite a lot of Yixing teapots in my collection, some were made by renowned artists and many others are just old fashion traditional pots. During those days, there were quite a lot of exhibitions of Chinese crafts, paintings and ceramics in town. This was the way China could generate income to spearhead the nation's growth and improve the standard of living for her people.

I have just started this blog and am very new to this type of platform to showcase my collection. I am sure if you are patient enough, you will get to see some of my valuable teapots. Let me remind you, collecting teapots can be very addictive. I cannot forget those early days when I tried so hard to find the pots I like at the price I could afford. Don't forget, there was no literature or information available for the collectors to refer to when choosing teapots of their choice.

So......... till next time.

P.S. Apart from teapots, I also like to drink Puerh tea. I like to brew this tea using the teapots I have acquired over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment