Translate

Saturday 16 March 2013

Did England win any World Cup?

Well, the answer is YES. They won it in 1966.

How come you know? Were you there watching them lifting up the trophy? What about the year 1966? Are you sure?

Okay, I did not watch the match at that time as I was too young to appreciate any good thing. Anyway I will tell you why I know. Well, I have a set of stamps issued by England in 1966 that commemorated this historical event. I don't think they can lie about such things.


World Cup Winner 1966

As a matter of fact, I was in my Primary 6 in 1966 and did not watch any football back then. But one good thing I do is I collect stamps. See, when you collect stamps, you collect history, all the commemorative events that happened in this world, all the things that concerned us and everything that matters to us. They are all shown in these little things called stamps. You may think that stamps are only used to post letters, to send anything you want to anybody you know at any address you can think of. But stamps mean more than that. They capture history and historical events, famous people, interesting places,and etc. It can be useful source of revenue for a country. With the onslaught of the Internet and cable technology, why do nations of the world still issue stamps? Answers are obvious.

Its almost half a century since England first won the World Cup. Its amazing, isn't it? Consider the glamour of the EPL and the great soccer stars they have and the millions of pounds of transfer fees. They even want to set up a football school here in Singapore (latest news: Chelsea FC intends to set up a football school in Singapore). If this comes true, don't be surprise to see a Chelsea Football University establish here in Singapore. So when you apply for jobs,  you can include in your resume, 1st class Honours in Football Skills, a master degree in Goal Keeping or a PhD in Football Management.

P.S. How did a Singaporean like myself get to possess such a valuable set of stamps that captured this historical event in the history of English Football? Well, that will be another story telling altogether for the future. So stay tuned if you are interested. Meantime I will take a short holiday break and will be back in a weeks time (need to go away to unwind myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment